Labels

Sunday 15 October 2023

Sigālaka, that’s how the eastern direction is covered, kept safe and free of danger.

Sigālaka, that’s how the eastern direction is covered, kept safe and free of danger.


A child should serve his parents as the eastern direction in five ways, thinking,


I will look after my parents who brought me up. 

I’ll do my duty for them. 

I will maintain the family lineage and tradition; 

I will be worthy of my inheritance; 

When they have passed away, I’ll offer gifts to virtuous persons and share merit with my parents.


Parents served by the children in these ways, show compassion to the children in five ways. 


Parents keep children from doing bad. 

Parents support children in doing good. 

Parents train children in a profession. 

Parents find children suitable spouses. 

Parents transfer the inheritance to the children in due time. 

Parents served by their children in five ways show compassion to them in these five ways. 

Sigālaka, that’s how the eastern direction is covered, kept safe and free of danger.


- Buddha's advice to Sigāla, (DN 31 Sigāla Sutta)


https://suttafriends.org/sutta/dn31/#pt13


17 October 2023




No comments:

Post a Comment