Labels

Sunday 22 August 2021

The Nimitta of Kamma

The Nimitta of Kamma


When a person is at death's door

He may experience a nimitta

Which reveals the kamma that a person has committed


Some people writhe and struggle in pain

Some people keep boxing and punching at air

Some people eyes bulge out while

Others are beaming brightly in good spirits


If you practice the Satipaṭṭhāna (4 Foundations of Mindfulness)

You can prepare in advance for your death

By practising meditation seriously.

If you don't practice the kammaṭṭhāna,

You will certainly not stand a chance. 


I have seen this for myself many times. 


If someone has pāṇātipāta kamma 

(i.e. breaking the first precept by killing)

You are certain to become paralysed in some form.


I used to break the necks of birds

When I was in high school year 3

My mindfulness during meditation told me

On the 14th of October 2521, at 12.45pm

I will meet with a fatal car accident

The cause of death? A broken neck.


Through the power of the Noble Ones,

My neck was indeed broken, but I did not die.

Because I was able to breathe through my navel.

I did not have to wait for a future life to see

The results of my kamma. 


For example, Yohm Sum Tong Ying. 

I knew that she would be dead in 3 hours. 

So I gave her a sermon, she walked back to her kuti.

Vomitted blood and passed away. 

She received the consequences immediately

Because she was already prepared. 


I taught her meditation since she was 38 years old

I taught her until she could practice on her own

Later the doctor said she had a terminal illness

I did not recite magical incantations or use spells

But she went on to live for 15 more years. 


If you adinnādānā (break 2nd precept)

By taking what is not given

Your house might catch fire, or be robbed

Or if you take intoxicants such as alcohol

You will become neurotic and mentally unbalanced


Only by practising the kammaṭṭhān will you be able to expiate your kamma. Are you prepared to do this before you die? If not, you are going to continue carrying your kammic debt with you. 


Phra Dharm Singhaburajarn 

LP Jaran Thitthamo

Wat Amphawan, Singburi Province



No comments:

Post a Comment