Labels

Tuesday 9 March 2021

Prof Richard Gombrich’s words of wisdom

Prof Richard Gombrich’s words of wisdom


Professor Richard Gombrich, who dedicated 40 years of his life to studying Buddhism and Pali language at The Oxford Centre of Buddhist Studies (OCBS), shares his understanding of Buddhism.

01. When I say I’m a Buddhist, it doesn’t mean I’m purer and nicer than others. But it means I have too much ignorance and mental defilement to remove. I need Buddhas' wisdom. 

02. When I say I’m a Buddhist, it doesn’t mean I have more wisdom than others. But it means I have been occupied by too much arrogance. I need to learn to be humble and to develop a broader perspective. 

03. When I say I’m a Buddhist, it is not because I am better or worse than others, but because I understand all beings are equal.

04. When I say I’m a Buddhist, I know I only love those to my taste, but Buddha loves even people he does not like, guiding them to be full of wisdom and compassion. That’s why I choose to follow Buddha’s teachings!

05. When I say I’m a Buddhist, it is not with the goal of getting what’s in my interest. But for letting go of my personal clinging to all worldly desires.

06. When I say I am a Buddhist, it is not because I pursue a smooth life. But for the calm acceptance of impermanence, and be calm and confident like a king in any adverse circumstances. 

07. When I say I am a Buddhist, I do not mean to manipulate others with the motivation of self-interest. But with good use of wisdom, to benefit self and others while being empathetic to all sentient beings.

08. When I say I am a Buddhist, it is not because I want to escape from the world and pursue nothingness. But to know everyday life is within Dharma, and to live in the present is to practice. 

09. When I say I am a Buddhist, it does not mean that my life will no longer experience setbacks. 

But with the Dharma, setbacks are transformed into a cause for my growth. 

10. When I say I am a Buddhist, my heart is filled with endless gratitude. Just thinking I was born as a human and have the ability to practice in this life, with the opportunity to meet wise teachers and hear the Buddha's teachings, I am deeply moved by this unbelievable karmic affinity.

11. When I say I am a Buddhist, it is not because there is a God outside me. But that I find the true Buddha-nature of my own heart.


********* 


💥英國佛學家貢布里奇的慧語 


在牛津大學任教四十餘年的理察德貢布里奇教授(Richard Gombrich)將畢生精力奉獻給了佛學與巴利文研究。佛教的真諦常常被誤解、扭曲,以下是英國知名佛學家,高齡80歲的理察德貢布里奇教授的心得。


1.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是說我比別人更純潔善良,而是我有太多無明煩惱需要去除,我需要佛陀的智慧。

2.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是說我比別人更具有智慧,而是我被太多的傲慢所盤據,我需要學習謙卑開拓更寬闊的視野。

3.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是因為我比別人更好或更壞,而是我瞭解到眾生的平等無二。

4.當我說我是佛教徒時,是因為我只能愛跟自己情投意合的人,而佛陀卻能愛自己所不喜歡的人,並引導他們具足智慧與慈悲,所以我選擇追隨佛陀的教導!

5.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是為了從此求福得福,而是為了了斷自己對一切欲望的執著!

6.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是為了人生一帆風順,而是為了坦然接受無常,在任何違逆的境遇下,從容自信如君王

7.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是要以自利的動機操控他人,而是要善用智慧,對眾生充滿同理心,自利利他。

8.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是因為我要逃避人世、追求空無,而是深知日常生活處處是道場,活在當下就是在修行!

9.當我說我是佛教徒時,我的生命並非從此不再遭遇挫折,但是有了佛法相伴,挫折轉化成助我成長的因緣!

10.當我說我是佛教徒時,我心中充滿無盡的感恩, 單單想到今生有緣生而為人,具備修行的能力,又有機會遇到善知識,得以聽聞佛法,就深心感動因緣不可思議!

11.當我說我是佛教徒時,不是因為外在有一個神,而是我發現了我本具的自心佛性!




No comments:

Post a Comment