Labels

Monday 20 September 2021

The teachings of Ajahn Suchart.

The teachings of Ajahn Suchart.


Question:  What is your way of practice? How do you enter the Dhamma practice?

Than Ajahn:  First, you have to study them. You have to know what to study, what to do. You have to know why you have to practice and what you’re going to get from your practice. To know these, you need to study from books, from suttas, or from the teachings of the Buddha. Once you know what you would get if you practice, and if you are inspired to do it, then you’ll take up the practice. 

Layperson:  Yes, but there are so many ways of practicing, there are so many suttas.

Than Ajahn:  There is only one way, but there are many different ways of teaching it. There is only one way: the Noble Eightfold Path.

Layperson:  Yes, but the Noble Eightfold Path is not so easy to understand. 

Than Ajahn:  Because there are different teachers who have different understanding of the Noble Eightfold Path.

Layperson:  Some emphasis on jhāna, some don’t emphasis of jhāna. The same way with sati, some said this, and some said that. 

Than Ajahn:  Have you heard of the parable of the 5 blind men? That’s exactly what most teachers are today. They are like the 5 blind men. They don’t see the complete picture of the Noble Eightfold Path. 

Layperson:  Yes, the problem is I also got lost because I listened to some of those teachers, so when I am alone, I have to find my own way.

Than Ajahn:  Ok, you just have to follow the Buddha’s teachings, follow the scriptures. If you’re not sure, then stick to the scriptures.

Layperson:  But in the scriptures, there are so many suttas where they teach one part in one way and another part in another ways.

Than Ajahn:  You just have to try them out. It’s called ‘trial and error.’ The Buddha had to use trial and error before he found the right path. So, everybody has to try them out. You go to different teachers and try them out. If this teacher does not suit you, then you go find another teacher. It’s like buying things. You go to different stores to buy the things you want. Eventually, you’ll get the products that you want to get. 

You just have to be patient. There is no magic wand that tells you, ‘This is it.’ 

Question:  There are so many teachers who have many devotees and I was wondering why are they so devoted to these teachers? Can the devotees see the state of mind or the attainment of these teachers? 

Than Ajahn:  Because the actions indicate what the mind is. 

Layperson:  Yes, for sure, but I cannot see the teachers most of the time. I only see them when they give Dhamma talks, and the rest of the time, they’d go into their kutis, so I don’t see their actions much. It’s easier for me to observe the laypeople, I can see how they act. But for monks, they are protected in their kutis and it’s the same for the masters. For example, if I want to observe you, I can only see you for a few hours here.

Than Ajahn:  It takes time to know one person, so you just have to be patient. If you want to find the right teacher, you just have to take your time to stay with the teacher and observe him, and at the same time, you are also being observed because it’s a two-way street. You are not just observing the teacher, but he is also observing you. I guess you just have to jump into the water. If you don’t jump into the water, you won’t know how to swim. You just have to take the plunge, take your chance; otherwise, you will just be like this, you don’t know where to go, where to start.

Layperson:  I think I’ve started it. I’ve tried some methods but I wasn’t close to the teachers because it wasn’t easy to be close to them. 

Than Ajahn:  The truth is you don’t have to be close to your teacher. As long as you can be close to his teachings, it’s enough. Now all the teachings are written in books, or uploaded on YouTube, etc. It’s not the person that is important, but it’s his teaching that is important. The Buddha says, ‘You know me by my teachings, not by my appearance. If you can get into my teachings, you are getting in to me.’ 

Layperson:  Yes. I came from a France, in Europe, and in the Western world, it’s easy for people to write a good book. In reality, they’d act in different ways. So, it’s difficult to know a person from the book or from his teachings

Than Ajahn:  Well, I’m sorry then. I don’t think I can help you now. You just have to help yourself. Or, anybody who knows how to help him, please do so. I have some books in English. They are my teachings. 

If you like, you can pick them up on the other building. They are placed on a shelf. You can take a look and take whatever you want. 


“Dhamma in English, Mar 25, 2019.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto

www.phrasuchart.com

YouTube:  Dhamma in English. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment