Labels

Friday 25 February 2022

"If I did a good deed but forgot to share the merit, am I able to dedicate and transfer them on another day?"

"If I did a good deed but forgot to share the merit, am I able to dedicate and transfer them on another day?"


The transference of merit is something that Luang Phor Jaran has always taught his students. 

Luang Phor would teach them to compose themselves, breathe calmly and slowly, take a deep inhalation followed by a long exhalation. 

After that, ask for forgiveness and forgive others who have wronged you, then pae metta to all sentient beings. As soon as your heart is calm and filled with loving-kindness, merit will appear in the heart, and then you are able to dedicate and spread it to any sentient being you want. 

But one day there was a luksit who performed meritorious deeds (e.g. such as dana, meditation etc.) but he forgot to dedicate and share his merit. So he went to Luang Phor and asked, "If I made merit but forgot to share them, what will happen? Will my merit deteriorate over time and lessen? When I remember later, am I still able to transfer the merit?"

Luang Phor Jaran answered, "If you have made merit but at that time forgot to share your merit, after a period of time the merit is still there. Not to mention a short period, even for ten, twenty, thirty years the merit is still there. You can always share and dedicate your merit afterwards. 

Merit does not dissipate and get reduced over time. It is not like that."


Luang Phor Jaran Thittathammo 

Wat Amphawan, Singburi Province




No comments:

Post a Comment