Labels

Monday 7 February 2022

Discourse on the Full Awareness of Breathing: 16 exercises for mindful breathing

Discourse on the Full Awareness of Breathing: 16 exercises for mindful breathing


“O bhikkhus, the full awareness of breathing, if developed and practiced continuously, will be rewarding and bring great advantages. It will lead to success in practicing the Four Establishments of Mindfulness. If the method of the Four Establishments of Mindfulness is developed and practiced continuously, it will lead to success in the practice of the Seven Factors of Awakening. The Seven Factors of Awakening, if developed and practiced continuously, will give rise to understanding and liberation of the mind. 

“What is the way to develop and practice continuously the method of Full Awareness of Breathing so that the practice will be rewarding and offer great benefit? 

“It is like this, bhikkhus: the practitioner goes into the forest or to the foot of a tree, or to any deserted place, sits stably in the lotus position, holding his or her body quite straight, and practices like this: ‘Breathing in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.’ 

1.Breathing in a long breath, I know I am breathing in a long breath. Breathing out a long breath, I know I am breathing out a long breath.

2.‘Breathing in a short breath, I know I am breathing in a short breath. Breathing out a short breath, I know I am breathing out a short breath.

3.‘Breathing in, I am aware of my whole body. Breathing out, I am aware of my whole body.’ He or she practices like this.

4.‘Breathing in, I calm my whole body. Breathing out, I calm my whole body.’ He or she practices like this.

5.‘Breathing in, I feel joyful. Breathing out, I feel joyful.’ He or she practices like this.

6.‘Breathing in, I feel happy. Breathing out, I feel happy.’ He or she practices like this.

7..‘Breathing in, I am aware of my mental formations. Breathing out, I am aware of my mental formations.’ He or she practices like this.

8.‘Breathing in, I calm my mental formations. Breathing out, I calm my mental formations.’ He or she practices like this.

9.‘Breathing in, I am aware of my mind. Breathing out, I am aware of my mind.’ He or she practices like this.

10.‘Breathing in, I make my mind happy. Breathing out, I make my mind happy.’ He or she practices like this.

11.‘Breathing in, I concentrate my mind. Breathing out, I concentrate my mind.’ He or she practices like this.

12.‘Breathing in, I liberate my mind. Breathing out, I liberate my mind.’ He or she practices like this.

13.‘Breathing in, I observe the impermanent nature of all dharmas. Breathing out, I observe the impermanent nature of all dharmas.’ He or she practices like this.

14.‘Breathing in, I observe the disappearance of desire. Breathing out, I observe the disappearance of desire.’ He or she practices like this.

15.‘Breathing in, I observe the no-birth, no-death nature of all phenomena. Breathing out, I observe the no-birth, no-death nature of all phenomena.’ He or she practices like this.

16.‘Breathing in, I observe letting go. Breathing out, I observe letting go.’ He or she practices like this.

“The Full Awareness of Breathing, if developed and practiced continuously according to these instructions, will be rewarding and of great benefit.”

https://plumvillage.org/library/sutras/discourse-on-the-full-awareness-of-breathing/




No comments:

Post a Comment