Labels

Monday 11 October 2021

Ajahn Sumedho - 'Kamma and Rebirth'

Ajahn Sumedho - 'Kamma and Rebirth'


For peace of mind, when somebody does something wrong, recognize it as a kammic ornamentation. Thinking, ‘How dare they do that? How dare they say that? How many years have I been teaching now, giving myself up for the welfare of all sentient beings and I don’t get any thanks for it’ is an unpleasant mental state. It’s the result of wanting everybody else never to fail me and always live up to my expectations, or at least cause me no problems – of wanting people to be other than they are. 

But if I don’t expect you to be anything, I don’t create anyone in my mind. If I think, ‘That’s so and so, who did this, and then he did that’ I’m creating a person out of kammic conditions, and I suffer accordingly with an unpleasant memory every time I see you. And if you’re ignorant and do something to me, and I do the same to you, we just reinforce each other’s bad habits.

We break these habits by recognizing them, by letting go of our grudges and memories, and by not creating thoughts around the vipāka, the conditions of the moment. By being mindful we free ourselves from the burden of birth and death, the habitually recreated pattern of rebirth. 

We recognize the boring, habitual recreations of satisfactoriness, the obsessions with worry, doubt, fear, greed, hatred and delusion in all their forms. When we’re mindful, there’s no attachment to ideas and memories of self, and creativity is spontaneous.

There’s no one who loves or is loved; there’s no personal being who is created. In this way we find the real expression of kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity which is always fresh, always kind, patient and ever-forgiving of oneself and others.

http://www.atamma.org/dhamma-documents/kamma-and-rebirth/



No comments:

Post a Comment