Labels

Thursday 10 June 2021

The Teaching of Luang Phor Jamnian.

The Teaching of Luang Phor Jamnian.


When I reached the age of six, I had learnt how to recite the Thirty Parami Verses, The Protective Discourses (Paritta) as well as the Buddha Jaya Mangala Gatha. I would recite it silently or aloud, even when I went out to catch fish. I am unable to remember the number of times I recited these verses, because I would recite them numerous times every day.

From the age of six, I was trained by my father to learn various skills and practices. After a day of laborious work, my father would ask me to massage him at night. When I massaged him, he would share with me about his expertise and knowledge about Traditional Thai Medicine, Thai Astrology, and Wicchaa. 

Every single day, he would teach me slowly so that I could remember his teachings. He would test my knowledge regularly, ensuring that I could memorise what he had taught before he continued imparting more knowledge to me. If I was unable to provide a correct answer, I would be punished. Such trainings continued until I undertook complete responsibility of raising the household. As I had to engage in laborious work, cook and household chores every day, by the time it was time for massage and training, I was already physically exhausted.

One day, I asked my father, “ Why am I the only one who has to work so laboriously? Apart from toiling for the entire day, I have to give you your massage at night? Yet you still expect me to find time to meditate. I only get to sleep very late at night, yet I have to wake up so early in the morning. On the other hand, my siblings are living a comfortable life. I don’t see them doing anything at all.”

He replied, “That is because I know you are much stronger than your siblings. You have a courageous heart, and you are passionate about learning. You have a yearning for knowledge unlike the others. Because of these reasons, you should do whatever I command you to, rather than try to rationalize why I asked you to. You should not feel dissatisfied, because if you follow my instructions, you will ultimately reap and experience the benefits yourself.”

Because of these trainings, whenever my father was not around, I would take over his work. I would try my best to help others. Hence, when I was eight years old, I had already become well-known in my predictions and medicinal abilities. I was hence able to use these skills to support the family. 

Yet in my heart, I still cherished the memory of emptiness and awareness, and I longed to do more meditation practice.

When I had a good medicinal foundation, my father asked me to treat some local villagers who were sick. However, some of the villagers I tried to help were possessed by powerful ghosts, as such I could not exorcise.

After my father learnt about this, he suggested an additional practice to strengthen my mental strength and exorcise powerful ghosts. This training draws on the use of Parikamma nimitta, this could be utilised to exorcise the ghost from the patient swiftly. I was then able to use the power of Parikamma nimitta by gazing at the water and meditating on “May any ghost who is possessing the individual not withstand the heat of this water.”, thereby creating holy water. Upon splashing the holy water on the patient, the ghost would be driven away through the heat generated by the Parikamma nimitta.

From a very young age, I was always drawn and inspired by the Noble Sangha. Whenever I knew that there were wandering monks or Tudong practitioners who visited the area, I would seek him out and request him to give me some advice. I would never give up learning because of my pride or arrogance, nor would I not accept the advice of anyone. From one Tudong practitioner, I learnt to examine the 5 Khandas, and for a few years I practiced this method. During that period, I met a few other Tudong practitioners, and gained a lot by learning their practice and experiences.


Luang Phor Jamnian

Wat Khao Lao

Text translated by Ted, Photo from mettacentre.com



No comments:

Post a Comment