Labels

Tuesday 15 June 2021

“What they need is to do it.”

The Teachings of Ajahn Suchart

2 October 2023

“What they need is to do it.”

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ 

Question:  What type of difficulties you have in training new monks?

Than Ajahn:  I don’t train them. I just tell them what to do and it’s up to them. I’m not a trainer. I’m just a tutor. 

I tell people what to do if they ask me questions. If they need help, I can only tell them what to do but I don’t train them. I only provide a location, and the quiet environment that will help in the training. For monks, they need a quiet environment to develop their practice.

Question:  So if they meet any problem, they can ask you and talk to you on how to solve their problems.

Than Ajahn:  Right. If they have questions, they can come and ask me. 

They usually listen to this Dhamma talk too.

Nowadays, everyone has a smart phone. 

People can follow the talks. So, they usually don’t need to ask me because they already know what they have to do. What they need is to do it. That’s all.  

Question:  If someone wants to become a monk, can he come here directly and become a monk here?

Than Ajahn:  Not here, because the person who ordains new monks doesn’t speak English so he doesn’t ordain foreigners. If someone intends to ordain, he can go to international monastery in Thailand. This international monastery ordain westerners. There are also some monasteries that will ordain westerners, like Ajahn Dtun’s monastery, Ajahn Anan’s monastery in Rayong. So, he has to look around but not here. Here, I can only give him the teaching. I cannot provide him the ordination. 


Youtube: “Dhamma in English, Nov 9, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto

www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment