Labels

Wednesday 30 August 2023

The Virtue of Giving (dāna)

The Virtue of Giving 
(dāna)

“It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.”

Narada Maha Thera in The Buddha and His Teachings  (1998) translates and narrates some of the things the Buddha said about (dāna) giving:

“Dāna or generosity is the first Pārami. It confers upon the giver the double blessing of inhibiting immoral thoughts of selfishness, while developing pure thoughts of selflessness. 

“A Bodhisatta is not concerned as to whether the recipient is truly in need or not, for his one object in practising generosity as he does, is to eliminate craving that lies dormant within himself. The joy of service, its attendant happiness, and the alleviation of suffering are other blessings of generosity.

“In extending his love with supernormal generosity, he makes no distinction between one being and another, but he uses judicious discrimination in this generosity. If, for instance, a drunkard were to seek his help, and, if he were convinced that the drunkard would misuse his gift, the Bodhisatta without hesitation would refuse it, for such misplaced generosity would not constitute a Pāramī.                                                                            

(Narada 460)

“Should anyone seek his help for a worthy purpose, then instead of assuming a forced air of dignity or making false pretensions, he would simply express his deep obligation for the opportunity afforded, and willingly and humbly render every possible aid. Yet, he would never set it down to his own credit as a favour conferred upon another, nor would he ever regard the man as his debtor for the service rendered. He is interested only in the good act, but in nothing else springing from it. He expects no reward in return, nor even does he crave enhancement of reputation from it.

“A Bodhisatta, though always ready to confer a favour, seldom, if ever, stoops to ask one. The Brahma Jātaka (No. 323) relates that once the Bodhisatta was leading an ascetic life in the park of a certain king who used to visit him daily and minister to his needs. Yet, for twelve long years he refrained from asking the boon of a pair of sandals and a leaf-parasol, trifling as they were.

When questioned as to his strange, but modest attitude, he replied to the king:— 

'Who beg, Pañcāla, Lord, to weep are fain.

They who refuse are apt to weep again.'

In abundance he gives to others, irrespective of caste, creed, or colour, though seeking nothing for himself in return. A characteristic

of his mind is perfect contentment... 

                                                                             (Narada 461)

“In the Kanha Jātaka (No. 440) it is related that Sakka, attracted by the exemplary, virtuous life of the Bodhisatta, approached him and offered him a boon. 

Acceding to Sakka’s kindly request, he wished for the following:

1. 'May I harbour no malice or hatred against my neighbour!

2. May I not covet my neighbour’s possessions!

3. May I cherish no personal affection towards others!

4. May I possess equanimity!'

“Greatly disappointed, though full of admiration for the disinterest

shown, Sakka entreated him to choose yet another boon.

He replied:—

'Where in the wood I ever dwell,

Where all alone dwell I,

Grant no disease 

May mar any peace,

Or break my ecstasy.'

“Hearing this, Sakka thought- 'Wise Kanha, in choosing a boon, chooses nothing connected with food. All he chooses pertain to the ascetic life!'

“Yet again Sakka said, 'Choose a boon!'

The Bodhisatta responded:

'O Sakka, Lord of the world, a choice thou doest declare:

No creature be aught harmed for me O Sakka, anywhere,

Neither in body nor in mind, this, Sakka, is my prayer.'

                                                         (Jātaka Stories, No. 440) 

“A Bodhisatta exercises this virtue of generosity to such an extent that he is prepared to give away not only wealth and other cherished possessions, but also his kingdom, his limbs and even his children and wife; and he is ever ready to sacrifice his own life wherever such sacrifice would benefit humanity.                                                           (Narada 462)

                                                                                        “The Vessantara Jātaka (No. 547) relates how, when Prince Vessantara was a child of only eight years, he thought with all sincerity: 'If one should need my heart, I would cut open my breast, tear it out and give it; if one should need my eyes, I would gouge them out and give them; if one should need my flesh, I would cut off what he needed.'

“The Vyāghrī Jātaka depicts, in growing terms, an incident in which he willingly and joyfully sacrificed his life for the good and happiness of others. In the Jātakamālā the story runs as follows:—

“On one occasion when the Bodhisatta was passing through a forest, accompanied by his disciple, he saw a tigress and her three cubs near death from starvation. 

Moved to compassion, he asked his disciple to secure some food for them. This was but a pretext to send him away, for the Bodhisatta thought:

'Why should I search after meat from the body of another while the whole of my own body is available? 

Finding other meat is a matter of chance, and I may well lose the opportunity of doing my duty. This body being foul and a source of suffering, he is not wise who would not rejoice at its being spent for the benefit of another.

There are but two things that make one disregard the grief of another – attachment to one’s own pleasure and the absence of the power of helping. But I cannot take my pleasure while another grieves, as long as I am able to help him. Why should I, therefore, be indifferent?

'By casting myself down this precipice, I sacrifice my miserable body which will feed the tigress, thus preventing her from killing the young ones and saving the young ones from dying by the teeth of their mother.                                                                   

                                                                         (Narada 463)

'Furthermore, by so doing I set an example to those whose longings are for the good of the world. I encourage the feeble; I gladden those who understand the meaning of charity; and I inspire the virtuous. 

'And finally that opportunity I yearned for, when may I have the opportunity of benefiting others by offering them my own limbs, I shall obtain it now, and acquire before long the Sammā Sambuddhahood – Supreme Enlightenment.'

Thinking thus, he cast himself down the precipice sacrificing his life for the welfare of those helpless beings.”                       

                                                                          (Narada 464)

While we should not be encouraged to feed ourselves to tigers, we understand the Bodhisatta's point about how boundless generosity leads to ultimate enlightenment.

Reference

Narada Maha Thera. 1998. The Buddha and His Teachings. Taipei: The Corporate Body of the Buddha Educational Foundation.

http://www.dhammadownload.com/File-Library/others-english/The-Buddha-And-His-Teaching-by-Narada.pdf


Copied 

Photo credit. The owner who posted it.

3 September 2023



No comments:

Post a Comment