Labels

Sunday 18 July 2021

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

27 March 2024

Layperson:  I’ve been contemplating on the source of dukkha and trying to look at the cravings that lead to that dukkha using your advice, look at the difference between when it arises in real time and not in real time. 

Than Ajahn:  Any time when you feel unhappy, you have dukkha. The Four Noble Truths has manifested itself already any time you feel stressful, anxious, worried, or agitated. These are all signs of dukkha. So, try to reduce your expectation in everything, not only in people or things, but also the conditions around you like the weather, the traffic, whatever objects you’re involved with. 

Don’t expect anything from them, treat them like the weather, then you won’t have so much stress and you can assimilate them into your life. 

If you try to have any wishes like wanting the traffic to be good, wanting this and that things to be good, when things are not good, you can become anxious and agitated. So, just try to flow with the world, with everything you come into contact with. Just flow with it in harmony and try not to be in conflict with anything because you cannot change it anyway. Right? 

You cannot change it when it comes. This is the way it is. 

It’s like a fixed menu so just take whatever dishes the chef gives you. 

Take it. It’s a set menu.

Life is like that—a set menu. This is what we call ‘săn-dòht’(สันโดษ). The Buddha said ‘sandosa,’ meaning just be thankful for what you get and what you have. 

Take them as they come. 

Don’t be choosy and your mind can be a lot more peaceful. As soon as you become choosy, you get into problems, ‘Oh! Whether I should take the red color or blue color? Whether I look better with red or blue?’ 

You’re just getting yourself agitated unnecessarily. Just take them. Like monks, we go on alms rounds, we don’t choose. You give me whatever you want to give. 

I’d choose based on what I get. I can choose what 

I’ve got but I cannot choose before you give me. I cannot ask you to get me pizza today or hamburger tomorrow. Ok?

Then, there will be less dukkha. 

Because your dukkha arises from you being choosy, you want this and you want that. I once read a saying, ‘Humans are stupid. They don’t know what they want. 

When it’s hot, they want it cold. When it’s cold, they want it hot. They always want something that is not there.’ 

Layperson:  Ok, that’s a good one. I’ll remember that one. 

Than Ajahn:  I think I saw it at a souvenir shop. It’s to remind people how stupid we are. We always want something that is not there. I think that’s the real Buddhist philosophy. 

Layperson:  Ok, thank you. 


“Dhamma in English, Mar 30, 2021.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto

www.phrasuchart.com

YouTube:  Dhamma in English.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment