Labels

Monday 1 May 2023

"WHERE HAVE YOU COME FROM?" { PART 2 } To Where Are You Going?

 "WHERE HAVE YOU COME FROM?"  
{ PART 2 }
To Where Are You Going?


Most of us will not attain final liberation in this very life and become an Arahant — we have to be realistic. 

Therefore, it is pertinent to ask, “To where are we going after death?” We do not know, and there is no point in idle speculation. However, the Buddha advised all of his followers, both lay and monastic disciples, to contemplate constantly on five things. 

This discourse is called: “The Certainties to Constantly Recollect” (Abhinha­paccavekkhitabba­thāna Suttam). 

“These five certainties, monks,  should be constantly recollected upon by a man or a woman, by a householder or by one gone forth. 

What five? I am subject to aging, I have not gone beyond aging. I am subject to disease, I have not gone beyond disease. I am subject to death, I have not gone beyond death. 

All that is mine, beloved and pleasing to me, will perish and be destroyed. I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, I have my kamma as my seed or womb, I am related to my kamma, and have kamma as my true refuge. Whatever kamma I shall do, whether good or evil, I will inherit its results (vipāka). 

These five certainties, monks, should be reflected upon constantly by a man or a woman, by a householder of by one gone forth.” 

Such teachings are unpopular these days. 

People are intoxicated by sensual pleasures and do not like to reflect at all on aging, disease, death, and impermanence. Many do not believe in kamma and rebirth. 

However, the Buddha gave clear instructions that his followers should reflect on these things, not just occasionally, for example when attending a funeral or embarking on a hazardous journey, nor even daily before lying down to sleep, but constantly (abhinham). 

Living beings are heedless. While intoxicated by thoughts and perceptions of sensual pleasures they are liable to do misdeeds by body, speech, or thought, which will result in suffering in the future, either in this very life, in the next life, or in future existences.  

This story of the Weaver’s Daughter clearly shows that the majority of the villagers who heard the Buddha’s initial instructions to contemplate on death did not pay heed. Only the weaver’s daughter was heedful because her mother had recently passed away. Therefore she was strongly motivated and full of zeal (samvega). Arousing a sense of urgency is vital, otherwise no one will be inclined to strive hard this very day. 

 

End ...........


7 May 2023






No comments:

Post a Comment