Labels

Saturday 8 January 2022

A sharing of the down-to-earth and practical answer from a humble Bhante ......

A sharing of the down-to-earth and practical answer from a humble Bhante  ......


Is what you teach according to the Buddha's teaching?

January 9, 2015 at 6:06am

In the recent retreats I conducted in Sabah and Sarawak, I was asked in each retreat whether what I teach is according to the Buddha's teaching?

I said, "I don't know."

I wasn't there when the Buddha was around. 

Well, at least I don't remember being there. So, how can I know?

I can draw connections between my teaching and early Buddhist scriptures, and I've drawn many; but scriptures are just records, sankharas (formations, fabrications, constructions) subject to change. 

(Even in the last council in Yangon, changes were made.) So, I can't base on them to say my teaching follows the Buddha's.

However, I can say that what I teach, what I practise, has ended some major sufferings for me, thus bringing about a happier and more peaceful life. Some of my students say the same too—but again, I don't know. I can only know what's true for me.

I can say that many things that used to trouble me no longer do, or barely do. I can say that I don't react as negatively as I used to. Less desire, less anger, less delusion, less fear. 

Sometimes it even seems like I don't have to make an effort to prevent them, and that amazes me. As I checked later, I understood: 

When there's no cause, there's no effect.

These I can see for myself. These I know.

by Kumâra Bhikkhu


_________________________

Dear xxxx,

Actually, I didn't intend "to inspire those with faith to see (me) as being honest and humble", but it somehow did come up that way.

It was just an answer to a reasonable question from people who have been confused by conflicting teachings. 

They remind me of the Kalamas. So, 

it's pointless to cite this and that. All that just confuse them further, because there too nothing is verifiable, nothing paccattam veditabbo (to be known individually).

So, as the Buddha taught the Kalamas, I went by what I can know for myself. By that truth, I answered that question of theirs.

I'm tired of trying to be Theravadin, or trying to proof that I got the right teachings of the Buddha. Doing that has never brought real satisfaction, and as you said "might generate debate".

I'm interested in suffering and the ending of suffering, and I'm happy to share that with people who want to hear it. Unsurprisingly, many people are interested, seemingly without a care whether I'm even speaking Buddhism. 

They want to know a way out of their own suffering, and so they listen.


with mettâ,

Kumâra Bhikkhu




No comments:

Post a Comment