Labels

Tuesday 12 September 2023

“You have to force yourself to practice because normally, you don’t want to practice.”

The Teachings of Ajahn Suchart.

20 September 2023

“You have to force yourself to practice because normally, you don’t want to practice.”

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ 

Upāsikā: The most important thing for me is to have a place to practice but I could not find any. Going back to Germany is the only opportunity I have. 

Than Ajahn: I understand. If you think you want to go back, you must divide your time, giving half the time for yourself and the other half for helping other people, although this is still not as good as staying in a place where you can have all the time for yourself.

Upāsikā: I could not find a place to practice. 

It’s very difficult for a female to find a place. 

Than Ajahn: Yes. But it may also that you have the time to practice, yet you don’t make use of your time fully. Instead of practicing, you run around doing some other things because your defilement is so strong and it will irritate you if you are not doing anything.  

Upāsikā: If I go back to Germany, I may have the peace because I don’t have to apply for visa. It’s like being a Thai person in Thailand. I feel that I’m not strong enough to deal with the obstacles I have to face either in Thailand or in Burma because I am a farang (foreigner). 

Than Ajahn: You just have to manage your time. You have to divide your time. Try to find as much time as possible for yourself. And do only what is absolutely necessary for other people. You have to do something to pay for your food and rent, but just do the necessary. 

Try to have time for yourself each day, or at least have time for yourself in the evening. 

You shouldn’t overdo things in helping other people. 

Just do it during the day. In the evening, you can have time for your own practice. You have to force yourself to practice because normally, you don’t want to practice. You have excuses for not practising. 

By the time you get to the evening time, you’ll say, ‘I’m tired. I work so much. I work so hard.’ These are all excuses although it may be true that sometimes you work hard and you become tired. 


Youtube: “Dhamma in English, Nov 9, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto

www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment