Labels

Wednesday 25 December 2019

“’If I don’t stop, how can I be happy?"

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

19 June 2023

’If I don’t stop, how can I be happy?"


⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Layperson: The problem with us, the Europeans is that, since we were kids, we were taught to do more things, to be creative, to be more productive. After 30 or 40 years of life we were told that we would understand life from our doings.

Than Ajahn: The reason for you to do all these things is because you are looking for happiness. You want to be happy and you think by doing these things you will be happy. People are judged by three things: his own ego, his creativity, and his self-worth.

There are two approaches to life: doing or not doing. Finding happiness by not doing anything is easier. You just sit down. You don’t need anything to be happy. You don’t have to have anything – no cars, no mansions, nothing. If you can do that, why not? It is easier than having to do so many things, having to work so hard, or having to work seven days a week, ten hours a day in order to buy a Ferrari.

At least you have come here and see that there is another different side of life. I was like you. I went to school and studied to become an engineer. After I graduated, I asked myself, what is the next goal? Looking for a job. After having a job, what is the next goal? Making myself richer, better. So, I was just like you. I kept chasing one goal after another. Then I asked myself, ‘When will I stop? If I don’t stop, how can I be happy?’

Then I started reading about Buddhism and it taught me that everything is impermanent. No matter how much I have, one day I am going to lose it all, so why bother looking for it? So, I stop acquiring things and try to live without having anything. I found this way easier, less stressful, and more conducive to peace of mind.

“Dhamma in English, Jun 30, 2015.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto
www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment