Labels

Monday 19 October 2020

“If you are not happy, how can you make other people happy?”

 “If you are not happy, how can you make other people happy?”


Layperson:  “Thank you for Luangphor’s explanation especially about mindfulness. It is very clear. It helps me a lot. I’m now 81 years old, so I tend to forget. But when I go up the steps, I’ll remember Luangphor’s words, ‘be mindful, be mindful, be mindful’. So, I won’t fall. Or when I come down the steps, I’ll be mindful and I won’t fall down.” 


Than Ajahn:  “Ok, you’re welcome.”


Layperson:  “Luangphor said that when we are alone, we can’t give mettā. So every time after the prayers, I’ll end with ‘ahaṁ sukhito hontu,’ is this ok?”


Than Ajahn:  “Yes, you can chant any verses but it doesn’t mean anything. It only reminds you what you should do. You have to make yourself happy first before you can make other people happy. If you are not happy, how can you make other people happy? 


So, the purpose of chanting is to remind you what you’re supposed to do. But you are not doing anything when you chant. It’s just a reminder.”


Layperson:  “During my prayers, it’s not me giving mettā to anybody. Is it just a reminder that I must practice mettā?”


Than Ajahn:  “Right. To remind you to practise mettā when you meet people or animals.”


Layperson:  “Oh, yes, to my cats.”


Than Ajahn:  “To your cats, your dogs or any beings. And even to dangerous animals. You should not treat them badly. You should not kill them. But you might have to put them in a safe place so that they don’t hurt other people.”


“Dhamma in English, May 24, 2018.”


By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto

www.phrasuchart.com


Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment