Labels

Monday 20 July 2020

“You should not overlook the Arahants you have at home and go look for Arahants outside your house.”

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

1st November, 2022

“You should not overlook the Arahants you have at home and go look for Arahants outside your house.”


QuestionMy parents do not understand why I practise performing a lot of dana to the Sangha. They scolded me and told me how foolish I am for offering dana to the Sangha. I do respect and care for my parents and will give them monthly allowance to cover their expenses. However, I prioritise serving the Sangha, like buying good food to offer to the Sangha, even though I do not ask my parents whether they have eaten or not. I try to obey my parents, but if my mum prohibits me to do dana, I will not obey her. Should I respect and accord priority to my parents before the Sangha even though they don’t understand the Buddha’s teaching and prohibit me from doing dana? 

Than Ajahn:  If you wish to do dana, you should dana to your parents first. Because your parents have been doing many beneficial things for you, like giving birth to you, raising you, so you should look after them first before you look after the Sangha. Once your parents are well looked after, you can then look after the Sangha. 

The Buddha said: ‘Giving dana to your parents is like giving dana to Arahants.’ So you should not overlook the Arahants you have at home and go look for Arahants outside your house. 

So first, you give dana to Arahants in your house. Once you have done that, you can give dana to Arahants outside of your house. 

…….

Q:  My mother prays to the shaman and does not listen to the Dhamma. She has her own greed and therefore trying to stop me from doing dana. How do I make her believe in the Dhamma instead of praying to the shaman? 

Than Ajahn:  Practising Buddhism is something that she must have personal interest in. If she doesn’t have any interest in the Dhamma, then it is not possible to tell her about the Dhamma. But you can leave Dhamma books or CDs around the house, or around her and maybe one day she might feel curious and would like to read the books or listen to the CDs. 

Buddhism is not something that can be forced upon another person. If a person doesn’t have any curiosity or interest in the Dhamma, there is nothing you can do for him or her.


By Ajaan Suchart Abhijāto

Youtube: Dhamma in English

No comments:

Post a Comment