Labels

Wednesday 15 July 2020

“You have to develop mindfulness even before you go to work.”

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

3 August 2024

“You have to develop mindfulness even before you go to work.”


Question“I get easily upset and angry due to my dislikes to seeing how people behave at work. It frustrates me and makes me feel wanting to leave my job. I try to be patient and tell my mind that those people behaviours are out of my control, and I just need to control my mind. However, at times I just want to give up and avoid dealing with these colleagues. What should I do?” 

Than Ajahn:  “What you lack is mindfulness. If you have mindfulness, you can make your mind calm and neutral. You will not react to what you see and what you hear. So, what you need to do is to develop a lot of mindfulness. 

You have to develop mindfulness even before you go to work. When you prepare yourself to go to work, you should’ve started developing mindfulness by reciting a mantra or by keep watching what you are doing with your body. When you are at work, don’t pay attention to things that you don’t need to pay attention to. Focus only on what you’re doing and ignore everything else. 
Then, your mind will not be disturbed by what you see or what you hear. 

When you’re at home and when you have time, find a room where you can sit down and meditate. Keep focusing your mind on the breath or on a mantra. This will calm your mind. This will bring your mind to the neutral state of mind where the mind does not react to things that it sees or hears. You have to do a lot of this developing mindfulness activities. As you’re going along your day, you should be developing mindfulness either by reciting a mantra or by focusing on what your body is doing. And when you have spare time, you go find a quiet corner to meditate. This will help you greatly because it will make your mind calmer and less reactive.”


“Dhamma in English, Q&A session, Apr 25, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto

No comments:

Post a Comment