Labels

Wednesday 29 April 2020

“Your mind is also changing. Sometimes, it’s very strong. Sometimes, it’s very weak.”

“Your mind is also changing. Sometimes, it’s very strong. Sometimes, it’s very weak.”


- - -

Layperson (F): At this point of my life where I’m considering for ordination, I find that I’m pushing myself too much and so I’m holding back now. I just go on with my life by helping people. As my practice progresses, I become uninterested in a lot of things. But at the same time, I’ve been conditioned from young that I have to do this, this, and this.

Than Ajahn: Well, it’s good if you force yourself rationally, but not emotionally. You should have realistic goals that you can achieve and you push yourself to achieve to that goal. If you push yourself to an unrealistic goal, then it’s not worth pushing yourself.

With Dhamma, we have the realistic goal. It’s a worthwhile goal to achieve. It’s to be calm in your meditation. This is a very worthwhile goal to achieve because once you achieve it, you will find the real kind of happiness – a lasting happiness. So, it’s worthwhile to push yourself towards this goal.

But you have to look at your own strength on how much you can push yourself. If you push too much, it can backfire. It can have a negative result. It will make you not wanting to practice at all. So, you have to do a trial and error.

Try to do this way and if it’s too much, then you slow down. If it’s too slow, you push yourself a little bit faster. It’s a matter of adjusting your practice to the ability of your mind.

Nevertheless, your mind is also changing. Sometimes, it’s very strong. Sometimes, it’s very weak.

So, you have to know when to push and when not to push. When your mind is too weak and you cannot push it, then just slow down a bit and wait until you have more strength to push your mind.

Youtube: “Dhamma in English, Dec 9, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto
www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment