Labels

Tuesday 3 March 2020

“When your mental strength becomes weaken, you cannot face the external difficulties.”

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

15 September 2024

“When your mental strength becomes weaken, you cannot face the external difficulties.”


⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Upāsikā: Right now, it’s an excuse. I know that the kilesa comes up.

Than Ajahn: I know. I can understand your predicament, living in a foreign country and having visa problem. And being a woman is also twice as difficult as man because Buddhism is not designed for women. Let’s put it that way. It’s not discrimination but it’s just the nature of people. Men and women are different. To practice Buddhism, you need to be in the wild. You need to be isolated and that’s not safe for women to be alone in the wild.

Upāsikā: But during the Buddha’s time, there were many women who became Arahants.

Than Ajahn: Yes, because they have guidance. They have teachers in the monastery. They didn’t go live alone in the wild. So, if you can find a monastery or a teacher who can guide you and support your practice, then that’s the best choice.

Upāsikā: I have those now. I have a teacher, Ajahn Lee, who is from Ajahn Mun’s tradition. He is a very senior monk. I have a very good feeling about him, but I’m only doubting myself. I feel that I don’t have enough Dhamma to teach others. 

Than Ajahn: Yes, you only have superficial knowledge. 

You can teach people about how to do walking meditation, sitting meditation, or how to develop mindfulness, but if there is any difficulty arises from the practice, you might not be able to give the proper answer.

Upāsikā: Can I send them to you?

Than Ajahn: Yes, tell them to come here on YouTube and Facebook every day. They can send in the questions any time during our live broadcast.

Upāsikā: There are also good monks there.

Than Ajahn: Ok. So, first you need a good place to practice where you have no problem staying for a long time. Second, you have to be discipline. If you don’t have someone to discipline you, like a teacher who can discipline you, then you have to be your own teacher. 

You have to discipline yourself. You have to set up a certain time to do the practice as much as possible.

Upāsikā: In the past, I was very disciplined. I gave in because of the outside difficulties which grew stronger and stronger. That’s why I want to go back to Germany. 

I could feel my trust in myself and trust in the Saṅgha have crashed.

Than Ajahn: That’s because your inside development is not rising. When your mental strength becomes weaken, you cannot face the external difficulties. So, you only have to blame yourself for not maintaining the level of practice that you used to have.

Upāsikā: Thank you.


Youtube: “Dhamma in English, Nov 9, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto
www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube:


No comments:

Post a Comment