Labels

Monday 9 March 2020

"One in a million chance.”

The Teaching of Ajahn Suchart.

8 August 2024

One in a million chance.”


⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Upāsikā: I met a senior monk who went to Germany, and has a monastery in Germany. I went to his place and he has asked me if I’m willing to go to Germany. 

And I said, ‘Yes’ because I had a feeling that I want to go back. He asked if I can help at his monastery like helping other monks, or helping with translation, etc. 

He also asked me to teach. But I don’t want to teach because I feel that I’m still a baby in terms of Dhamma. 

I want to help but not teaching others. Can you advise?

Than Ajahn: If you help but you can’t teach others, it means that you cannot help others. Because the best form of help is by giving Dhamma teaching.

Upāsikā: I feel insecure and I know my kilesa.

Than Ajahn: I know. If you follow the Buddha, then you should get rid of your kilesa first before you go and teach other people about how to get rid of kilesa.

Upāsikā: That’s what I want. But the problem is if I stay in Thailand, I cannot continue. I have a lot of obstacles. Germany is the place I can stay as a nun. 

Than Ajahn: Well, it’s up to you. It doesn’t matter where you are. What matter is whether you practice or not. If you go back to Germany, if you could practice, that’s fine. But if you go back and you have to do other works, and are not practicing, then you’re losing your precious time because there is nothing more precious than practicing the Dhamma, to realize the goal of the Dhamma.

It’s very rare opportunity for us to be born as a human being and to come across the teachings of the Buddha at the same time. This might be one in a million chance.

After you die, the next time when you return as a human being, there might not be any Buddha’s teachings and there won’t be anybody to guide you. All you can rely on is what you have developed in your mind. 

So, it’s a toss-up. You have to decide which one is more important.


Youtube: “Dhamma in English, Nov 9, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto
www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: 




No comments:

Post a Comment