Labels

Sunday 8 March 2020

“The Buddha has said that you have to help yourself first before you help other people.”

The Teaching Of Ajahn Suchart.

30th May, 2022

“The Buddha has said that you have to help yourself first before you help other people.”


⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Question (M): I’m here now for almost one and a half year. Sooner or later, I will have to go back to the Netherland where I’ve lived for most of my life. I’m too old to get into the working system. So, I’m looking for an opportunity to coach people such as the elderly, and going to the direction of meditation. I have the feeling that I can reach to people. Sometimes I’m practicing, sometimes I am not practising, but my heart is with meditation. I need the directions and the vision from someone like you to guide me whether I am on the right course.

Than Ajahn: Well, if you look at the example of the Buddha, his first priority is to teach himself until he became fully enlightened, until he finished his job. Once he had finished his job, then he started helping other people. In Buddhism, this is usually the priority. The Buddha has said that you have to help yourself first before you help other people.

If you think that you are happy with yourself, that you don’t need to help yourself anymore, and you have spare time to help other people, you can do that. However, this will stop you to progress to the final destination if you haven’t reached it yet. Because as soon as you start helping other people, you’ll lose the time that you need to send yourself to the final destination.

Layperson (M): I understand. It’s more of the willingness to organize things and to have contact with the teachers here in Thailand who may want to visit my country. It’s in that direction because I have much more years to cross before the pension system in Holland takes place. Till then, I have to look for the opportunity. 

Than Ajahn: Ok, I hope I’ve answered the question you asked. If you still have to do whatever you have to do, then you have to do it.

Layperson (M): Yes, but my enlightenment is not for this life.

Than Ajahn: Yes, you take the Bodhisattva path – helping others before helping yourself. You have to develop compassion first before you can relinquish and go live in isolation and help yourself. So, it might take a long time.

Layperson (M): Yes, that’s what I mean.

Than Ajahn: If you follow the Buddha’s path, right now you might finish it in 7 days, 7 months, or 7 years. It’s your choice.

Layperson (M): Ok, thank you.

Youtube: “Dhamma in English, Nov 9, 2018.”

By Ajahn Suchart Abhijāto
www.phrasuchart.com

Latest Dhamma talks on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_BnRZmNgECsJGS31F495g

No comments:

Post a Comment